Friday, October 5, 2012

Waking: Memoir



As I reflect on the book, there is only one word to describe the uncontrollable feeling within, and that word is Powerful! Words cannot express how much this book has inspired and deeply humbled me. While reading, I was overcome with emotion so much so that I often felt as though I was going through each stage of rehabilitation with Matt and his family. At some points, I was shocked, completely heartbroken, and on the verge of tears. Other times, I found myself distraught and disappointed, especially when a glimpse of hope would peek through and then be snatched away like a thief in the night. Or when he had to undergo more surgery due to the unforeseen injuries or complications. For it seemed as though Matt’s suffering and pain was a never-ending cycle - when one problem was fixed or in the process of improving another problem would arise. I found myself constantly thinking, “when will he gain some sense of relief or a substantial amount of hope?” This is more than any thirteen year old should have to handle. More importantly, I wondered “where was God in the midst of Matt’s pain and suffering.  I know as Christians we are not suppose to doubt or question God and the things that happen to us, but it is hard to disregard such questions when tragedy strikes. Not only did Matt suffer an insurmountable amount of bodily injuries, but he also lost his father and older sister. I simply cannot imagine the pain, for I have not had such a life altering experience occur within in my immediate family. However, I can relate to Matt’s method of grieving and his need to escape the pain when it’s too hard to bear. Suddenly, a thirteen year old wakes up and realizes that his family of five has recently become a family of three overnight. He is forced to accept that what they once knew as truth, saw as stable, and found comfort in is no longer. The Sanford family that Matt described in the beginning of book was taken away as their care headed over the embankment. One cannot help but sympathies with Matt, his mother Paula, and brother James. It is unfathomable to imagine that a family could be so severely damaged and still survive.  But as I write this, I am reminded that God will never give us more than we can bare. Amazingly, Matt whether aware of this scripture at the time, exemplified tremendous faith by taking hold of this concept and applying it to his situation in order to survive. As a result of this, I noticed my feeling of sympathy for Matt and his family quickly turning to admiration.

Although the book mainly focused on Matt and his extensive injuries, I realized that the tragedy that occurred on the embankment did not just happen to Matt, but to the entire family. Mrs. Sanford, in my eyes is a very brave woman and a great mother because any woman, mother, and wife in her situation could/would have given up and let grief overcome them. But she did the opposite. She fought for her son despite the doctor’s prognosis and encouraged him to look inward for a source of strength.  Matt’s fight or battle towards healing was not his own but a collective battle.



No comments:

Post a Comment